It's official: The Washington Monument will reopen May 12, almost three years after an August 2011 earthquake forced the structure closed for repairs.
Some logistics for a visit to the Washington Monument after May 12:
- Same-day, free tickets are issued on a first-come, first-served basis every morning at 8:30 a.m.
- Anyone over the age of 2 needs a ticket.
- Tickets reserved online include a $1.50 service fee.
- Don't bring a large purse or bag.
- There are no bathrooms or food vendors. Plan accordingly.
- Parking around the National Mall is pretty sparse. Take Metro and get off at the Smithsonian stop on the Blue or Orange line.
- The monument will be open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. throughout the summer.
Speaking of monuments, have you voted in our Monument Madness tournament yet? The Washington Monument is doing pretty well.