Jeremy Huber. Photo credit: Johns Hopkins University Athletics Department Jeremy Huber.
Photo credit: Johns Hopkins University Athletics Department

Jeremy Huber, a freshman varsity lacrosse player at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, was found dead in his dorm room overnight, school officials announced Monday.

There was no evidence of contagious disease or anything that suggested foul play, according to university officials and police.

Baltimore Police spokesman Detective Ruganzu Howard said in a statement, “At this point it is an active death investigation being handled by our Homicide Section, but does not appear to involve any foul play.”

That is routine for an unattended death, he said by phone. “There’s no sign of anything amiss or awry.”

Huber had been studying in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences with an interest in cognitive science. He was salutatorian of his class at West Career and Technical High School in Las Vegas.

In a statement to the campus community, Kevin G. Shollenberger, vice provost for student affairs and Terry Martinez, associate vice provost and dean of students, wrote, “The start of the spring semester is meant to be a day of excitement. It is a time when we reunite after weeks apart to resume our journey of learning and discovery together. This time, however, the beginning of the semester is also a time of sadness as we learn that one of our own will not be continuing the journey with us. We are confident, however, that those who knew and cared for Jeremy will always carry his memory in their hearts.”

The athletic department also released a statement about the freshman defenseman. “We are stunned and deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Jeremy Huber,” Hopkins men’s lacrosse coach Dave Pietramala wrote. “Jeremy was a wonderful young man who was extremely well-liked by his teammates and the members of our lacrosse family. He was a considerate, bright young man that loved being a part of our lacrosse program. He was an outstanding representative of Johns Hopkins University and words cannot adequately express the loss we are feeling right now. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family as we all try to work through this difficult time.”

The reaction on social media was swift.