Texas Southern University was on lockdown much of the day Friday after a fatal shooting of a freshman at a campus apartment complex that also sent one person to the hospital. It was just the latest in a recent string of violent incidents at the campus, located just south of downtown Houston.

The TSU shooting, following a deadly shooting at Northern Arizona University early Friday morning, also came on the same day that President Obama was visiting Umpqua Community College where nine people were fatally shot in a classroom last week.

John Cannon, a spokesperson for the Houston Police Department, said officers responded to calls about a shooting at 11:30 a.m. Friday. One person was fatally shot and another wounded, he said.

The injured person is in serious stable condition, according to the university.

Two persons of interest have now been detained, according to university officials Friday afternoon, but the assailant remains at large.

The campus-wide lockdown was lifted, but the Courtyard Building 1 remains restricted and locked down. All classes were canceled.

Many people, on and off campus, responded with shock Friday.


The historically black university, which has nearly 10,000 students, had reported on its Web site that there was an incident Thursday at the same building:

Texas Southern University Police Department is investigating reports of a shooting that occurred at around midnight Thursday in the vicinity of the University Courtyard apartments.
The recent shooting incidents on our campus have been extremely difficult and troubling for our entire university community. In the wake of these incidents, our campus security and police department is increasing its presence and will continue to work closely with the Houston Police Department, Harris County Sherriff’s Office and the Precinct 7 Constables Office.  We’ve always had these relationships — but we realize that it will require a total effort from everyone to keep our students safe.

One person was shot on campus Tuesday night after an argument following a museum event, according to the Houston Chronicle.

And on Sept. 26, the paper reported, a TSU sophomore fired into a crowd at a student apartment complex, sending two people to the hospital.