The newly restored Fleetwood Hill, located on the Brandy Station Battlefield in Culpeper, Va., will open to the public at 10 a.m. Monday following a ribbon-cutting ceremony, according to an advance announcement by the Civil War Trust. It was here on June 9, 1863, that the major part of the war’s largest cavalry battle took place with attacks and counterattacks between Union Maj. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton and his horsemen and Confederate Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his cavalry soldiers.

Stuart had his headquarters on top of Fleetwood Hill. Some historians call it a draw and others allow Stuart to claim victory because of the eventual Union retreat. Either way, it was a public relations victory for the Union cavalry that was long considered inferior of the South’s skilled cavalry units. For the first time in the war, they were seen as competent as their Southern counterparts.

Fleetwood Hill was purchased by the Civil war Trust for $3.6 million in 2013. Since then, it has been returned as close as possible to its 1863 appearance with the use of digital imagery, topographic maps and historic photos. Two modern houses, a detached garage, two in-ground pools and a pool house were removed from the property. What visitors will see is a grassy hill that can be explored by following a 1.25-mile looping trail with interpretive signs along the way.

Expected to speak at the ceremony are Virginia House of Delegates Speaker William Howell, Secretary of Natural Resources Molly Ward and Civil War Trust President O. Jim Lighthizer.