I love getting things done. That’s why I spend several hours a day reading productivity articles. And when the day is done, I bookmark the ones I didn’t get to for later. I learned that trick in a productivity article.
I also learned that you can’t make yourself feel bad when you don’t get anything done. Apparently that can be extremely counter-productive. With that in mind, here are 10 inspirational quotes to make you feel better about getting absolutely nothing done today.
1. “We are all failures – at least the best of us are.”
— J.M. Barrie
This quote from J.M. Barrie says that the best people are failures, so why not be one, too? Some people say you can’t fail if you don’t try, but not trying is also failing, isn’t it? Probably.
2. “Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”
— Pooh’s Little Instruction Book
Doing Nothing is so important that they capitalized it. I couldn’t underscore this more unless I underscored it.
3. “There is more to life than increasing its speed. ”
— Mohandas K. Gandhi
Gandhi had many memorable quotes, but this one sticks out to me as the best one to make me feel better about how much time I wasted on the Internet today.
4. “There is precious little hope to be got out of whatever keeps us industrious, but there is a chance for us whenever we cease work and become stargazers.”
— H.M. Tomlinson
The only chance for survival of our very humanity is stargazing. But, if the stars aren’t out yet, then the stars on Instagram will do.
5. “Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.”
— Richard Carlson
I know I feel crazy when I’m stressed out. You know when I don’t feel crazy? When I’m in my nap pod.<hr />
6. “He that can take rest is greater than he that can take cities.”
— Benjamin Franklin
As a society, we tend to glorify people who astound us with what they’ve accomplished. Have you read Benjamin Frankin’s Wikipedia page? Or Angelina Jolie’s? Wow. How do they do it. But even ol’ Benjie knew that resting was his greatest accomplishment.<hr />
7. “Work is not always required. There is such a thing as sacred idleness.”
— George MacDonald
Work is not the answer to everything. And it is certainly not the answer to these never-ending action items.
8. “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.”
— Chinese Proverb
Those Chinese Proverbs really knew their stuff.
9. “Sitting quietly, doing nothing, spring comes, and the grass grows by itself”
— Matsuo Bashō
What’s the worst that can happen by doing nothing today — really? Aren’t most of the things you’re worried about going to get done regardless? Eventually? And even if they don’t, what does it really matter? #Deep
10. “You have to allow a certain amount of time in which you are doing nothing in order to have things occur to you, to let your mind think.”
— Mortimer Adler
Today could be the day you have your next million dollar idea, but not if you spend it running down your task list. Only if you spend it sitting around, doing nothing.
Hopefully this made you feel better about not getting anything done today. I know it helped me.
Sarah Cooper is a comedienne, blogger and freelancer. This article has been republished with her permission. To read more of her work, visit The Cooper Review.
If you liked this on Inspired Life, you might also like this:
Sign up for our Saturday newsletter here