The official GoFundMe campaign created for the victims of South Florida’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting reached $100,000 in the first half-hour it was posted and another $75,000 in the hour after that.
The campaign went live during a news conference in which Broward County authorities announced developments in the Valentine’s Day shooting investigation that left 17 dead and millions of people across the country shocked, scared and angry. Police are searching for a motive.
The financial support for the victims poured in moments after Broward County Schools Superintendent Robert W. Runcie announced that an official account had been created.
Runcie said several fraudulent accounts had been created. “We’ve worked to establish something credible,” he said.
The goal is $300,000.
The account says donations will be used to provide financial support to the victims and families.
“Broward County Public Schools district is dealing with the unimaginable tragedy that unfolded on Feb. 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. There are no words to express the sorrow that we are all feeling,” it reads.
More than 3,000 people donated in the first two hours, and many wrote public messages of condolence.
A user name Sherrie wrote, “brokenhearted for all of these sweet innocent souls.”
Tal Gilad wrote, “prayers for Stoneman Douglas, to my friends and family I lost. RIP.”
Morell Family wrote, “We are all in this together. We are with you.”
Jo Anne Braley wrote, “sending prayers to all of Florida. My heart is breaking for you.”
Teenage suspect Nikolas Cruz was booked on 17 counts of “murder premeditated.” Cruz, who authorities say once attended the school, was expected to appear in court Thursday. Police say the carnage was planned with chilling precision: The shooter — armed with an assault-style weapon — pulled a fire alarm and waited as his victims began pouring into the halls.