The number of pedestrian and cycling collisions in the District increased by more than 20 percent between 2013 and 2014, from 1,628 to 2,013 collisions, according to the District Department of Transportation.
At least some of these significant increases could be due to increased reporting of these incidents and more cyclists on the road.
The transportation agency also listed the intersections where the most pedestrian crashes occurred and the plans under way to make them safer. They are:
- Ninth and U Streets NW
- Wisconsin Avenue and M Street NW
- Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road NE
- 14th and Irving streets NW
- H and North Capitol streets NW
- 14th Street and Columbia Road NW
- Seventh and H streets NW
- 16th and L streets NW
- 19th and M streets NW
- Georgia and New Hampshire avenues NW
- MLK and Howard Road SE
- Benning Road and East Capitol Street NE
- 18th Street and Adams Mill Road NW
- 14th and I streets NW
Read the full oversight document here.