The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

The anti-Trump projection artist’s latest D.C. target: The IRS building and Manafort

A D.C.-based artist flashed an image of President Trump's indicted former campaign chief Paul Manafort on the IRS building with the words “follow the money." (Video: Twitter/Tax March)

A virtual cascade of money seemed to fall from the facade of the IRS building Monday night in Washington. The faces of President Trump and Paul Manafort — the president’s former campaign adviser who was indicted on federal charges earlier in the day — were swapped in and out in the background.

“Follow the money,” the 15-second video, which was played in a loop, stated in capital letters. “Release Trump’s tax returns.”

Is the artist behind ‘Pay Trump bribes here’ a protest messenger for our times?

The protest art is the work of Robin Bell, the go-to anti-Trump projection artist in the nation’s capital. He said he had planned to stage the protest at the IRS even before Manafort was indicted.

He teamed up with the organizers of the Tax March — the April 15 demonstration where protesters called on the president to release his tax returns — for Monday’s projection. When he learned of Manafort’s indictment Monday morning, Bell scrambled to add his face to the video.

Trolling Trump: How viral visual taunts have changed protest in nation’s capital

Bell and his team have also projected anti-Trump protest art onto the Trump International Hotel, the Justice Department, the Newseum and on a Confederate statue near D.C.’s Judiciary Square.

“We hadn’t done the IRS yet, and with all this Manafort stuff, the clearest way we are going to find out stuff is through these records. It all made sense,” Bell said. “It was cool to do this projection last night and tie it together with the news.”

The Tax March: Protesters around the country call on Trump to release his taxes

Bell uses a truck with a projector in it to pull off the displays. He said he pulled up to IRS on the 1100 block of Constitution Avenue NW about 7:30 p.m. and stayed for about 40 minutes. He said no police or security officers asked him to leave.