We have been discussing the rising tide of populism all year, along several lines.
How populists win power and what happens when they do:
- Of course Donald Trump goes low. That’s the populists’ winning style
- When does populism actually win elections?
- This is what we can learn from how populists elsewhere undermine democracy
- Trump and Sanders aren’t so different. Populism has run through U.S. politics for a very long time.
- Is it possible to have populism without racism?
Populism is rising across the West:
- It’s not just Trump. Authoritarian populism is rising across the West. Here’s why.
- Lessons from Europe: Donald Trump may be showing us the future of right-wing politics in the U.S.
- The Trump phenomenon and the European populist radical right
- And the winner of Turkey’s presidential election is . . . populism!
- Is Hungary now run by the radical right?
- A far-right party just won seats in three German state parliaments. Here’s why.
- Did Poland just vote in an authoritarian government?
- Why would Poland make its already strict abortion law draconian?
- Colombia’s right-wing populist movement defeated the peace deal. Here’s how we know.
And, of course, we looked at the populist wave behind Brexit: