The Washington Post

Justin Bieber accused of attempted robbery

Pop singer Justin Beiber has been accused of attempted robery after allegedly trying to snatch a woman's phone at an Los Angeles amusment park Monday. (Reuters)


Well, that didn’t take long.

Just weeks after reports that Canadian pop star Justin Bieber was ribbing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford about his crack use, the singer is in trouble with the police.

The Los Angeles County Police Department is investigating Bieber in connection with an alleged attempted robbery. The Los Angeles Times reports that Bieber tried to take a phone from a woman at a San Fernando Valley miniature golf course Monday because he thought she was taking his picture. He didn’t keep it, and so far detectives haven’t interviewed Bieber, who was at the Clippers-Thunder NBA playoff game Tuesday night.

Says TMZ:

The woman says Justin and his crew got into an altercation with some guys at the batting cage when J.B. noticed she was going for her cellphone to take pictures. She says Justin demanded to see her phone so he could erase any photos. She says she refused to fork over the phone so he then went into her purse and grabbed it.

The woman says she began wrestling with Bieber, trying to get her phone back. She says he ripped it out of her hands but couldn’t accomplish his mission because the phone was locked.

She says Justin gave her the phone back and demanded that she unlock it to see if she took photos. She obliged and showed Justin she had taken none. She says she told Justin she and her 13-year-old daughter just wanted to say hi, and Justin screamed, “”You’re humiliating yourself in front of your daughter. Why don’t you just get out of here.” Her daughter started crying.

Bieber, 20, was most recently accused of felony vandalism for egging a neighbor’s house and was arrested for a misdemeanor DUI charge in Miami. He was detained upon reentering the country after a trip to Japan last month, but allowed to return after “secondary questioning.” A petition was started asking the government to deport Bieber. The official White House response was “no comment.”


Soraya Nadia McDonald covers arts, entertainment and culture for the Washington Post with a focus on issues surrounding race, gender and sexuality.



Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Video curated for you.
Next Story
Lindsey Bever · May 14, 2014

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.