Australian broadcaster Channel Seven aired newly released footage on Sunday that shows Oscar Pistorius in a reenactment of the night he fatally shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The video was made as a part of the defense team’s trial preparations.
The Paralympian’s family condemned the broadcaster’s decision to air the video as a “staggering breach of trust.”
The athlete will face up to 25 years if found guilty of premeditated murder. He said he mistakenly shot his 29-year-old girlfriend through a closed bathroom door, mistaking her for an intruder on Valentine’s Day of last year.
The video, said to have been filmed at the athlete’s uncle’s house, reportedly shows Pistorius walking on his stumps with his arm outstretched as if holding a gun. It is also said to show the athlete picking up and carrying his sister Aimee as a body double for Steenkamp.
In a statement, lawyer Brian Webber said the defense team hired The Evidence Room, a U.S.-based company, to “to visually map the events on the night of the accident” and that video footage was filmed as part of that process. The video has not been shown in the trial.
The footage shown by the Australian broadcaster was obtained illegally, Webber said.
Martin Hood, a South African criminal lawyer, told the Spectator the video could be damaging to Pistorius, as it shows that he is more mobile without his prosthetics than his defense team has suggested.
Billed as a world exclusive, here is a promotional clip from the program via New York Daily News:
The trial resumes Monday.