“Through her lawyer, plaintiff made extortionate claims to Mr. Cosby [through his counsel] about criminal penalties, coupled with ever-increasing demands for a six-figure payday to keep quiet about her long-since-expired claims,” the documents state, according to ABC News.
In her lawsuit, Huth alleges she and her then 16-year-old friend first met Cosby while on set in San Marino, Calif., and he invited them to his tennis club the following weekend. From there, he invited them to his home, where he gave them beer. After the girls “consumed multiple alcoholic beverages,” he allegedly took them to the Playboy Mansion.
“While at the Playboy Mansion, plaintiff told Cosby that she needed to use the bathroom,” according to Huth’s lawsuit. “Cosby directed her to a bathroom within a bedroom suite near the game room. When plaintiff emerged from the bathroom, she found Cosby sitting on the bed. He asked her to sit beside him. He then proceeded to sexually molest her by attempting to put his hand down her pants, and then taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without her consent.”
According to Cosby’s court filing, Huth’s claims are “absolutely false.”
In the new court documents described by the Associated Press, Cosby’s attorney, Martin Singer, wrote that Huth tried to squeeze $100,000 from the 77-year-old star about a month ago in exchange for her silence. He said he and Huth’s attorney, Marc Strecker, had multiple conversations in the weeks leading up to the initial suit. Later, Huth allegedly increased her demand to $250,000 in exchange for not filing the papers, which seek monetary damages, according to Cosby’s lawyer. Strecker, Huth’s lawyer, did not respond to news organizations’ requests for comment Thursday.
Huth claims she recently realized her “psychological injuries and illnesses were caused by the sexual abuse.” However, TMZ reported she tried to sell the story to a tabloid a decade ago.
“Your demand for money from Mr. Cosby is rejected,” Singer wrote in a Dec. 1 letter to Strecker.
Singer said the suit should be thrown out because it has passed the statute of limitations, and Huth never provided papers from a mental health official claiming there was a “reasonable basis to believe” she had been abused as a child.
Still, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday the department would investigate any allegations against Cosby, regardless of the statute of limitations. However, he said the department currently has no open investigations.
“We don’t turn people away because things are out of statute. You come to us, especially with a sexual allegation, we will work with you,” he told the Los Angeles Times. “We address these things seriously — and it’s not just because it’s Mr. Cosby.”
LAPD Capt. Fabian Lizarraga said the department has an open-door policy when it comes to sexual assault cases.
“All victims deserve to be heard,” Lizarraga told the newspaper. “It doesn’t matter if it’s out of statute or not.”