St. Louis County police said an officer shot and killed a man who pulled a gun on him late Tuesday at a gas station in the St. Louis community of Berkeley.

The shooting, by a Berkeley police officer, occurred about 11:15 p.m. local time. By 1 a.m., the victim’s body remained in the parking lot where some 60 people had gathered, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported.

The crowd included ministers and others who have been protesting the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., some two miles from the scene of Tuesday night’s shooting. There were reports of some vandalism at the scene and some shoving involving police and bystanders.

The Post-Dispatch and others named a victim based on reports from a woman at the scene who said the man was her son, though police did not confirm it. Police did not immediately identify the race of the victim or the officer.

Police said in a statement the officer was conducting a “routine business check” at a Mobil Gas Station on North Hanley Road near I-170 when he saw two male subjects outside the building.

“The Berkeley Police Officer exited his vehicle and approached the subjects when one of the men pulled a handgun and pointed it at the officer,” the statement said. “Fearing for his life, the Berkeley Officer fired several shots, striking the subject, fatally wounding him.”

The other subject fled the scene.

According to news reports, the gas station had surveillance cameras installed that might have picked up footage from the incident.

St. Louis County Police Sgt. Brian Schellman, the paper reported, said he has seen video from cameras at the gas station where the shooting occurred. He said that footage will be released soon. “You can see the gentleman raise a handgun and the officer fire a shot,” Schellman said, according to the Post Dispatch.

The Post Dispatch added:

He [Schellman] said that, based on footage he has seen, the officer was carrying a flashlight when he approached two people at the Mobil gas station and engaged in a conversation. He also said it appears that the officer did not pull his weapon until one of those people pulled a gun.

The Post Dispatch interviewed a number of people who showed up after the shooting, and while many expressed anger and made reference to the Ferguson shooting, none described themselves as eyewitnesses.