Alan Dershowitz took legal steps this week to contest claims made in a recent court filing that he had sex with an underage girl who was coerced into a ‘sex ring’ run by disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Dershowitz, who is not named as a party in the lawsuit, filed a motion to intervene in the case in order to “protect his reputation” against the “outrageously false” accusations of one of Epstein’s alleged victims. The famed lawyer was named, along with Britain’s Prince Andrew, by alleged victim “Jane Doe #3,” who said that Epstein also trafficked her to “many other powerful men, including numerous prominent American politicians, powerful business executives, foreign presidents, a well-known prime minister, and other world leaders.”

On Monday, Dershowitz told CNN in a lengthy, furious interview that the victim was a “serial perjurer, serial liar, serial prostitute.” adding that he has never met the woman in question.

AD
AD

CNN, along with several other media outlets, have identified the alleged victim by name. The Washington Post generally does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault without their permission. 

The allegations also prompted multiple denials from Buckingham Palace on Andrew’s behalf, along with a rush of coverage for the lawsuit, which was first filed in 2008.

In the court filing submitted last week, the alleged victim accuses Dershowitz of having sexual relations with her “on numerous occasions while she was a minor, not only in Florida, but also on private planes, in New York, New Mexico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.” The document also claims that Dershowitz was “an eye-witness to the sexual abuse of many other minors by Epstein and several of Epstein’s co-conspirators.”

AD

“To the great detriment of Prof. Dershowitz, and as Plaintiffs’ counsel surely anticipated, the contemptible allegations against Prof. Dershowitz and others have created a media firestorm,” Dershowitz’s response reads. “Over the weekend of January 3 and 4, 2015, major media outlets—including the Miami Herald, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and the Jerusalem Post— picked up the story and highlighted the most libelous allegations against Prof. Dershowitz.”

AD

The lawsuit accuses the federal government of violating a victims’ rights statute by failing to consult with Epstein’s alleged victims before signing off on a plea deal that led to Epstein pleading guilty to a Florida charge of soliciting prostitutes. At the time, Epstein was the subject of a federal investigation into allegations of trafficking underage women; the plea deal reportedly allowed him to avoid any potential federal charges stemming from that investigation.

Dershowitz’s filings also include a detailed, point-by-point denial of each accusation of sexual conduct made against him, and one additional accusation of his own: “I believe and allege that Jane Doe #3’s lawyers deliberately inserted this false and defamatory charge, which they knew or should have known to be false and defamatory, in a legal pleading that does not seek an evidentiary hearing or provide for any other opportunity for me to respond to, rebut or disprove their knowingly false charge.” Previously, Dershowitz has said that he will seek the disbarment of the alleged victims’ legal counsel for submitting Doe #3’s accusations.

AD

(One of the two lawyers, Paul G. Cassell, writes for the Volokh Conspiracy, an independent blog hosted by The Washington Post.)

AD

Dershowitz later told the BBC that he wanted to “bring charges against the client and require her to speak in court,” adding: “If she believes she has been hurt by me and Prince Andrew, she should be suing us for damages.”

The full filing is below:

AD
AD