There are April Fools’ Day jokes, I suppose. I mean, I can’t think of any, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

This, however, is not a story about one of them.

Fire crews responded to a student apartment complex in Michigan on Wednesday when a prank went wrong and a blaze broke out in the building.

No one was hurt in the fire, which occurred at Campus West Apartments near Grand Valley State University in Allendale Township, not far from Grand Rapids.

“They were lucky, we had a great response and everyone was able to make it out safely,” Allendale Fire Capt. Dave Pelton told MLive.com.

The fire started, according to Pelton, when a resident tossed a lit firecracker inside an apartment. It landed in a laundry hamper, and that’s when the trouble began.

AD

Smoke began to fill the apartment, and the building was evacuated.

AD
Addison Walstra, a 19-year-old sophomore at GVSU, lives next door to Apartment 4 and said all of a sudden the fire alarms started to sound. She said the neighbors came to her apartment and said there was a fire.
“At first we didn’t think it was serious,” she said, adding that she had given the roommates her fire extinguisher. The neighbors returned a short time later and said they couldn’t put it out and asked everyone to leave the building.
“We didn’t get to grab anything,” Walstra said.

Her roommate, Allison Mitchell, told a Fox affiliate that she was in class when the incident occurred. She learned about the evacuation in a text message.

“I thought it was a joke at first,” Mitchell said.

Pelton told the Fox affiliate that the person who lit and threw the firecracker likely won’t face charges.

You can watch Fox 17’s report here:

More on April Fools’ Day:

AD
AD