Rebecca Burger, Instagram

A popular fitness blogger and Instagram model in France died after a pressurized canister used for dispensing whipped cream exploded, hitting her in the chest.

Rebecca Burger’s death from the Saturday incident was announced on social media Wednesday by her family, who warned of the potential risks of defective whip cream dispensers.

The post published on Burger’s Instagram page to her more than 150,000 followers read:

Here’s an example of the cartridge/siphon for whipped cream that exploded and struck Rebecca’s chest, killing her. Take note: the cartridge that caused her death was sealed. Do not use this type of device in your home! Tens of thousands of these appliances are still in circulation.

Authorities in Eastern France told the French newspaper 20 Minutes, that Burger, 33, suffered cardiac arrest in her home in Galfingue on Saturday and firefighters were able to revive her heartbeat. But Burger was unconscious when she arrived to the hospital and died the following day.

Whipped cream dispensers use nitrous oxide canisters, which, when pierced by a pin, release the gas and pressurize the cream container.

According to the consumer magazine, 60 Millions, two people were gravely injured in 2014 by whipped cream canister dispensers in France.

A 2014 news release by the French economy ministry advised people to be cautious when using cream dispensers: “Since 2010, several models of kitchen syphons, also called cream syphons, have turned out to be dangerous and led to home accidents.”

Ard’Time, the company of the whip cream dispenser Burger reportedly used has been recalled because of reports that the plastic head could explode and fly off, according to their website.

COMMUNIQUÉ ARD'TIME : ALERTE CONSO Information Importante à diffuser le plus possible.Pour les siphons de notre marque rendez vous sur le site:www.ardtime.net

Posted by Ard'time on Friday, December 18, 2015

In addition to posting fitness pictures on Instagram, Burger ran the lifestyle blog Rebecca Likes where she would document her travels and outfits. She uploaded her first YouTube video on June 10 showing her on a trip in Bali.

In an Instagram post, Women’s Best, an online health store that Burger promoted online, paid tribute to the blogger.

The BBC reported that in 2013, one victim of an exploding cream dispenser told RTL radio: “I had six broken ribs, and my sternum was broken. At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now.”

In 2014, a consumer watchdog group in France issued a warning about dispensers with “defective parts …. When a user screws a new gas cartridge into the head of one of the defective canisters the resulting pressure causes the spray nozzle to break free and fire off like a rubber bullet,” it reported, according to the Local France.

Officials have opened an investigation into Burger’s death.

Bastien Inzaurralde contributed to this story.

More from Morning Mix:

George Clooney’s quest for the ‘perfect’ tequila just produced a billion dollar sale

John Oliver, a giant squirrel and a defamation lawsuit by a coal industry titan

A massive earthquake was reported in California Wednesday — by mistake