Update, 3:14 p.m.: The Nationals announced that the game against the Braves has been postponed in light of the shootings at the nearby Navy Yard. It will be made up as a split doubleheader on Tuesday, with games at 1:05 and 7:05 p.m.
The team also released this statement:
All of us here in the Nationals organization were deeply saddened to learn of the tragic events that occurred this morning only a few blocks from Nationals Park. Our thoughts and prayers remain with our friends at the Navy Yard and those impacted by today’s incident.
In light of the circumstances, we have decided to postpone tonight’s game against the Braves. Additional information will be distributed in the coming hours.
The safety of our fans is our utmost priority. As we have throughout the day, the Nationals security personnel will continue to work closely with all levels of law enforcement to reinforce the already high level of security in place at Nationals Park and to ensure that our visitors always have a safe experience.
Fans with game tickets to Monday’s postponed contest will be able to use their original tickets for the 1:05 p.m. makeup game Tuesday. Those unable to attend the 1:05 p.m. game an exchange their tickets for any remaining home game during the 2013 regular season or any Value Game during the 2014 regular season. More information is available here.
Update, 2:53 p.m. According to a MLB spokesman, the league has been contact with the Nationals, who are consulting with local officials about the status of the game. A postponement would be decided by the Nationals in conjunction with MLB.
Andrew Rafferty of NBC News posted this photo of the box office at Nationals Park:
Update, 1:45 p.m.: Nationals Manager Davey Johnson said players have been told they came come to the stadium. Because an area around the stadium is still closed off for the ongoing investigation, Johnson said players were given specific directions on what roads were clear for them to use.
The Nationals have not made an official announcement about tonight’s game. General Manager Mike Rizzo said a statement would be released. Johnson said he believes the game will be played as scheduled.
“I think we’re going to play,” Johnson said. “We’re here. I don’t know.”
Update, 12:40 p.m.: A Braves spokesman said the team had been told they were clear to head to Nationals Park. But given the updates provided by the D.C. police department, the area near the stadium is still under an active investigation. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said that authorities are looking for two other possible suspects wearing military-style clothing.
Two Nationals players who live near the stadium said around noon that they haven’t been told not to come in.
Original post: The Nationals have made no official comment on the status of tonight’s game against the Atlanta Braves, but team officials have told employees to stay away from Nationals Park, which is located about two blocks away from the site of the shootings that took place this morning at the Navy Yard.
“We’re not allowed to go to the ballpark,” Manager Davey Johnson said. “They told us to stay away.”
Johnson said he was told two armed guards are stationed in front of the stadium to make sure no one gets in.
The park is so close to the shootings that D.C. Police are using Lot B of Nationals Park as a gathering spot for affected families to meet.
Johnson planned to arrive early at Nationals Park to receive treatment on his sore back. Before he left his home in Old Town Alexandria, he received a text message from a team official telling him to check the news and stay home.
“I was about ready to head to the ballpark,” Johnson said. “I would have never made it.”
The Nationals woke up this morning with their only focus on the Braves and trying to chase down the Reds in the race for the second wild-card spot. And then a shooting next to where they play made the mundane disappear.
“It’s just the way things are these days,” Johnson said. “All kind of horrific things happening. I hope nobody else gets hurt over there. It’s scary.”