Here are seven facts about Oshie you may not have known.
1. Oshie was born in Washington state, but he was raised in Warroad, Minn., and played at Warroad High. Oshie is the eighth hockey player from Warroad (population 1,770) to play in the Olympics, and no American men’s hockey team has ever won a gold medal without a player from Warroad.
2. Oshie has never scored more than 19 goals in an NHL season. A six-year veteran with the St. Louis Blues, Oshie is known as a two-way forward more than a natural goal scorer. He has 14 goals this season with 25 games left to play.
3. Oshie is not new to international competition. He played for the United States at the World Junior Championships back in 2006 and has played three times on the senior national team in the World Championship. He was on the Americans’ bronze medal winning team in 2013.
4. But, he is new to the Olympics. Thursday’s win against Slovakia was Oshie’s first Olympic appearance.
5. Oshie is no stranger to shootouts. He is 25 for 46 in his NHL career in the tiebreakers, and his career shootout percentage of 54.3 percent is second-best among active NHL players with at least 20 attempts.
6. He has the hot hand. Oshie has converted 7 of his 10 shootout attempts in the NHL this season, and his seven shootout goals are tied for the most in the league.
7. Oshie is on Twitter @osh74. He’s probably going to gain a few followers today.
Analysis: The pros and cons of the hockey shootout