The Washington Post

Arrest made in Abby Hernandez kidnapping case

A 34-year-old New Hampshire man has been arrested and charged with kidnapping Abigail Hernandez, who went missing for nine months before returning home last week.

Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, of Gorham, N.H., was arrested midday Monday and charged with one count of felony kidnapping, according to a statement from New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster. Kibby, the statement said, was charged “for knowingly confining Abigail Hernandez … with a purpose to commit an offense against her.”

Kibby will be arraigned in district court  Tuesday, according to the attorney general’s office.

This undated file photo provided by the Conway, N.H., Police Department, shows AbigailHernandez, 14, of North Conway, N.H., who disappeared on Oct. 9, 2013, after leaving school. New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph Foster said Monday, July 21, 2014, that AbigailHernandez was reunited with her family Sunday evening. (AP Photo/Conway Police Department, File) (AP Photo/Conway Police Department, File)

Hernandez disappeared  Oct. 9, when the then-14-year-old was spotted walking out of Conway High School with her backpack. She wasn’t seen again until last week, when she was reunited with her family.

Few details have emerged about what happened to Hernandez during those nine months, and the attorney general’s office said no further information would be released until a media  briefing following the arraignment.

“Over the course of the past week, law enforcement officers have worked around the clock to ascertain the facts and circumstances surrounding Abigail’s disappearance and return,” the statement said. “Abigail Hernandez provided the police with details of her kidnapping sufficient to warrant today’s arrest.”

The arrest came just hours after the girl’s mother, Zenya Hernandez, appeared on NBC’s “Today” and denied widespread rumors about her daughter’s disappearance.

“The majority of people somehow believe that she was pregnant; she was not,” Zenya Hernandez told “Today,” adding: “She did not run away.”

She also said her daughter was thin and “very pale” when she returned home eight days ago.

“It’s something that’s haunting me, and I think will haunt me for the rest of my life.”

J. Freedom du Lac is the editor of The Post's general assignment news desk. He was previously a Local enterprise reporter and, before that, the paper’s pop music critic.



Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Show Comments

Sign up for email updates from the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

You have signed up for the "Confronting the Caliphate" series.

Thank you for signing up
You'll receive e-mail when new stories are published in this series.
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Your Three. Videos curated for you.
Play Videos
Be a man and cry
Deaf banjo player teaches thousands
Sleep advice you won't find in baby books
Play Videos
Drawing as an act of defiance
A flood of refugees from Syria but only a trickle to America
Chicago's tacos, four ways
Play Videos
What you need to know about filming the police
What you need to know about trans fats
Syrian refugee: 'I’m committed to the power of music'
Play Videos
Riding the X2 with D.C.'s most famous rapper
Full disclosure: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1 ghoul
Europe's migrant crisis, explained
Next Story
Mark Berman · July 28, 2014

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.