On Saturday, Aug. 9, 18-year-old Michael Brown was the victim of a fatal police shooting. Conflicting reports by the police surrounding what happened in the moments leading up to Brown’s death, coupled with mounting community frustration at the lack of detailed information made available to the public in a timely manner, touched off several nights of tense protests in the streets of Ferguson. Below is a visual timeline of the incident and its aftermath.

Aug. 9: Michael Brown, 18, of Ferguson, Mo., is shot by an officer. Brown is a recent high school graduate who was about to start college. Residents of Ferguson react to his death by laying rose petals at the place where his body was found; as night falls, they gather and raise their hands as a symbolic gesture to urge police not to shoot. Brown’s mother, Lesley McSpadden, center, drops rose petals on the blood stains from her son.

Aug. 10:  Several Ferguson residents hold a Sunday night vigil for Brown.

Several car windows are smashed and stores are looted by people carrying armloads of goods as witnessed by an Associated Press reporter.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar, left, delivers remarks about the shooting of Michael Brown as Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson listens during a news conference.

Protesters confront police during an impromptu rally

Aug. 11: Tactical officers arrive in Ferguson to assist St. Louis County police clear protesters who were marching in front of the Ferguson police station after Saturday’s police shooting of Michael Brown.

Robert Cohen/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/AP Photo

Protesters march in front of police headquarters with their hands raised.

Lesley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr., the mother and father of Michael Brown, speak at a news conference Monday in Jennings, Mo. about the death of their son

Aug. 12: Civil rights activist Al Sharpton flies to St. Louis to speak at a news conference with civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump and the family of Michael Brown.

Jeff Roberson/AP Photo

Aug. 13: An Al Jazeera TV crew reporting on the demonstrations in Ferguson is seen fleeing their camera equipment after police fired tear gas in their direction.

Tensions between police and demonstrators reached a crescendo on the third day of protests as an officer is seen aiming his weapon at a demonstrator protesting the shooting death of Michael Brown.

A demonstrator throws a tear-gas container as tactical officers try to break up a group in West Florissant, Mo.

Jeremiah Parker, 4, stands in front of his mother, Shatara Parker, as they attend a protest in Ferguson, Mo.

Aug. 14: President Obama delivers a statement on the situation in Ferguson, calling for ‘healing’ after several days and nights of police clashing with citizens. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., also met with Michael Brown’s parents and issued a statement saying he is “deeply concerned that the deployment of military equipment and vehicles sends a conflicting message” to the community of Ferguson.

On the evening of Aug. 13, two journalists —  Ryan Reilly of The Huffington Post and Wesley Lowery of The Washington Post — are detained by police in a McDonald’s restaurant in Ferguson. Wesley Lowery detailed his experience here and provided photos from the encounter below.

Aug. 15: Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson announces the name of the police officer responsible for the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown. The officer was identified as Darren Wilson, a six-year veteran of the department.

Police also issue handout photos to the press of stills from a security camera showing an alleged robbery incident that took place between Michael Brown and a convenient store owner prior to Brown’s shooting death.