[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/national/justice-department-to-conduct-second-autopsy-of-michael-brown/2014/08/17/529da06c-2638-11e4-8b10-7db129976abb_video.html" ]
Federal officials have ordered an additional independent autopsy for Michael Brown, the unarmed black teenager who was fatally shot by a police officer in Ferguson, Mo., earlier this month.
“Attorney General Holder has instructed Justice Department officials to arrange for an additional autopsy to be performed by a federal medical examiner,” department spokesman Brian Fallon said in a statement Sunday. “This independent examination will take place as soon as possible.”
The additional autopsy came at the request of the Brown family, according to the statement, which noted that federal officials will also still consider the results of the state-performed examination during their investigation.
Authorities on Friday identified the officer involved in the shooting but also said that Brown was the prime suspect in a convenience store robbery — a decision that angered residents and members of the teen’s family.
“They were very appalled by it. They saw it for the first time, at least glimpsed of it, on nationwide TV,” Brown family attorney Anthony Gray said on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” on Sunday, when asked about the release of the convenience store surveillance footage. “They had requested an opportunity, through the attorneys, to see any video footage before it was released. That request, obviously, was not honored.”
Sean Sullivan contributed to this report.