The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Ferguson timeline: What’s happened since the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown

A St. Louis County grand jury is expected to decide by the end of November whether to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown.

Here’s a timeline on the shooting, the civil disobedience, the investigation and grand jury.

Ferguson police released surveillance video that allegedly shows Michael Brown robbing a convenience store before he was shot and killed by officer Darren Wilson on Saturday. (Video: Ferguson Police Dept.)

Saturday Aug. 9

11:51 a.m. – A 9-11 call comes in about a robbery of a box of cigars at a convenience store. The dispatcher says the suspect is walking in the direction of the Quick Trip convenience store.

12:01 p.m. – The officer, Darren Wilson driving a police SUV, sees Michael Brown, 18, and a friend as they walk in the middle of Canfield Drive. Accounts differ about what happens next. But Brown is shot multiple times as a result of the encounter and dies. Autopsies found that Brown had been shot at least six times.

12:04 p.m. – A second officer arrives on the scene.  An ambulance responding to an earlier sick person call responds to look at  Brown’s body.

12:10- 4 p.m.-  Brown’s body is in the street in a pool of blood for about four hours. Hundreds of people gather. Five dozen police are called in, according to news reports.

Sunday, Aug. 10

10 a.m. Michael Brown, 18, was unarmed, St. Louis County Police Chief Joe Belmar says in a news conference. Belmar announces that Brown physically assaulted the officer who shot him. And during that struggle, Brown reached for Wilson’s gun. One shot was fired in the car, he says, followed by other gunshots outside of the car.

Later that evening: A candlelight vigil turns violent. Riots break out after a few thousand people paid their respects at the memorial. Police are wearing riot gear, the Associated Press reported. And some protestors are seen looting a QuikTrip and a Wal-Mart, according to the St. Louis Dispatch.

Monday, Aug. 11

A second night of unrest unfolds, and police fire tear gas.  Brown’s mother calls for calm.

Tuesday, Aug. 12

President Obama asks for a Justice Department investigation of the shooting. The FBI opens a separate investigation to see if there were any civil rights violations, Cheryl Mimura, spokeswoman for the FBI in St. Louis, told The Washington Post. Brown’s family once again tell both police and protestors to end to the violence.

Wednesday, Aug. 13

In the very early morning, a protester is shot and wounded. Protests against police brutality lead to a standoff between several dozen local residents and dozens of officers in full riot gear just blocks from where Brown was gunned down, The Washington Post reports.  When some residents, chanting “Don’t shoot, my hands are up,” refused to leave, officers began deploying tear gas. “I’m under siege,” one protester told The Post.

Also Wesley Lowery, a Post reporter, and  Ryan Reilly, of the Huffington Post, were detained that evening by police in Ferguson. He and other reporters were using their computers to file their reports from a McDonald’s, when about half a dozen police officers came into the restaurant, Lowery said.

Thursday, Aug. 14

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon News(D) promised “a new tone,” in Ferguson, where days of anger over Michael Brown’s death were met by a heavily-armed, forceful police presence. Nixon puts Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson, a popular African American from Ferguson, in charge of the city’s security. U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. says he is ” deeply concerned that the deployment of military equipment and vehicles.” Late at night and into the early morning, protests turn violent again as some take to rioting and looting, though many peaceful protesters attempt to stop it.

Friday, Aug. 15

Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson identifies Wilson as the officer who shot Brown. He also releases security video of a strong-arm robbery at a convenience store minutes before the shooting. The grainy video appears to show Brown shoving a store clerk. But Jackson later says that Wilson’s stop of Brown was unrelated to the robbery. The release of both the officers name and the video triggers more tension. Johnson, the state trooper captain, marches with the protesters, who hug him and offer him flowers, tensions seem to dissipate before midnight, when the crowd dramatically changes and turns violent. Obama speaks more extensively on the issue saying, “now is the time for healing.”

Saturday, Aug. 16

Nixon sets a curfew and declares a state of emergency. Police and protestors start wearing gas masks. Bloggers liken the scene to recent protests in the war-torn Gaza Strip. Police presence near Wilson’s house rises, The Washington Post reports and no one seems to know where Wilson is, other than in hiding for his own safety, as friends say.

Sunday, Aug. 17

Holder tells the Justice Department to conduct its own autopsy on Brown. Gunfire rings out during protests. Tear gas is used again and dozens of arrests made.

Monday, Aug. 18

Nixon lifts the curfew but sends the National Guard to Ferguson. The Brown family releases results of a private autopsy.

Wednesday, Aug. 20

A St. Louis County grand jury begins hearing evidence.

Michael Brown was shot in the head and chest multiple times, Mary Case, the St. Louis County medical examiner tells The Washington Post.

Aug. 21-22

The National Guard begins withdrawal.

Monday, Aug. 25

Funeral services are held for Michael Brown. Hundreds attend.

Wednesday, Sept. 3

Nixon lifts Ferguson state of emergency.

Thursday, Sept. 4

U.S. Justice Department announces civil investigation of Ferguson police.

Thursday, Sept. 25

Jackson apologizes to Brown’s parents in a video.

Tuesday, Oct. 21

Nixon says special commission will examine social and economic conditions in Ferguson. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that a county autopsy suggests Brown was shot once at close range in hand, six times overall.

Thursday, Oct. 23

Amnesty International report says law enforcement restrictions on peaceful protesters violated international standards.

Tuesday, Nov. 11

To honor the 100 days since Brown’s death, protesters stage a “die in” in St Louis. Dozens of protesters blocked a major intersection by lying in chalk outlines. Nixon says violence will not be tolerated if demonstrations follow grand jury announcement in Brown shooting.

Monday, Nov. 17

Nixon declares a state of emergency, allowing him to call up National Guard in advance of a decision.

Tuesday, Nov. 18

As the state and the nation await a verdict, Nixon announced Tuesday that he’s selected a black minister and a white businessman to lead an independent commission in response to the sustained outrage after the death. Nine of its members are black. Seven are white.

Friday, Nov. 21

Holder announces guidelines for police and protesters.

In a new video released Friday, Attorney General Eric Holder announced "a new guide" to help law enforcement officers "maintain public safety while safeguarding constitutional rights during First Amendment-protected events." (Video: Department of Justice)