Darren Wilson, the white officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager in Missouri in August, is no longer a member of the Ferguson Police Department.

But his next move remains unclear.

On Saturday, Wilson resigned from the force in the St. Louis suburb, which has been the site of unrest and protests since the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown. His resignation came five days after a Missouri grand jury’s decision not to indict him.

“It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me,” Wilson wrote in his resignation letter, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal.”

James Knowles III, Ferguson’s mayor, said Sunday that there was no severance agreement between the city and Wilson.

“The city of Ferguson will not be making a severance payment to officer Wilson,” Knowles said at a news conference.

Wilson, who earned an annual salary of $45,302, had been on paid administrative leave since the shooting. He was a six-year veteran of the department, Police Chief Thomas Jackson said after Wilson’s name was linked to the Aug. 9 shooting. Before Brown’s death, the 28-year-old also had another job working in private security, a former co-worker told The Post in August.

“I wanted to stay on the road for 30 years and then retire as sergeant,” Wilson told ABC News in an exclusive interview last week, days before announcing his resignation. “That’s all that I wanted.”

On Saturday, he told the Post-Dispatch: “I’ve got to figure out what do we do now. Right now I would not want to be a cop, but you never know. Only time will tell.”

Former Ferguson mayor Brian Fletcher told St. Louis Public Radio that a reboot of Wilson’s police career seemed like a long shot. “Whether officially his license is removed or unofficially, I think it would be very unlikely that he’ll ever seek law enforcement again, unless it’s in a private manner,” Fletcher said. “He’s had a chance to think about this. For everybody’s sake, both the community and Darren Wilson’s sake and the Brown family, I think he’s made the right decision.”

One of Wilson’s attorneys, Neil Bruntrager, told USA Today that the officer’s resignation “means at this point he doesn’t have a paycheck. He has no income so he’ll have to make some decisions pretty quickly.”

Barbara Spradling, whom Wilson married earlier this year, remains an officer in Ferguson, according to reports. Wilson told the Post-Dispatch that Spradling, who is pregnant, was asked to resign but hasn’t taken that step yet.

Wilson’s own personnel file remains closed, Ferguson’s city attorney said in an e-mail Monday.

“I’m really just a simple guy, that’s all I am,” Wilson said in an ABC interview last week. “I do family things, spend a lot of time at home, with the family. Casual events. We’re just simple, everyday, normal people.”

Wilson shot Brown during an Aug. 9 confrontation in Ferguson. Protests followed Brown’s death, as did calls for reform in law enforcement. A grand jury last month declined to indict Wilson for the shooting, a decision that sparked more unrest in the St. Louis area and cities across the nation.

Fundraising efforts for Wilson began after the Brown shooting, though it eventually became unclear how the money could be used. Two GoFundMe online campaigns collectively raised thousands of dollars, but those efforts stalled as tax lawyers tried to sort through possible funding distribution issues.

When asked for an update on the fundraising efforts, a Facebook group of Wilson supporters replied that “media has made assumptions based upon little information.”

“Only Darren knows the total amount of money he’s received,” a message from the group read. “The 2 gofundme campaigns were public, however, gofundme had fees…and additionally, the 2nd gofundme through Shield of Hope has specific guidelines attached.”

Jeff Roorda, business manager of the St. Louis Police Officers Association, who has been involved in Wilson fundraising efforts — told The Post on Monday that he didn’t have an update on the fundraising totals yet.

“Well, I had a conversation with his attorney on Friday, and we’re still in a holding pattern as of right now,” he said.

Members of Wilson’s legal team did not immediately return telephone messages on Monday.