Two 15-year-old female students died in a shooting at a high school in the Phoenix suburb of Glendale on Friday morning, and police said it appeared to be a case of murder-suicide.

“This is a tragic incident,” Glendale police spokeswoman Tracey Breeden said during a news conference. “Two young people are dead this morning and we send our condolences to the family, the loved ones and the friends of those two young girls.”

Breeden said two students had each been shot once and were found next to each other with the weapon beside them on the campus of Independence High School.

Police said Friday afternoon that investigators searching the scene found a suicide note and now believe one of the students took her own life after killing the other.

Police said they do not believe there are any other people of interest or suspects in the shooting.

“The investigation has led detectives to believe this incident was a murder suicide,” the Glendale Police Department said in a statement.

The names of the two students — both sophomores at the school — were not immediately released due to their age, police said.

Officers found the girls, who were declared dead at the scene, under a covered patio area near an administrative building, Breeden said.


Following the incident, Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers told reporters he lives nearby and his daughter once attended the school.

“This tragedy hits really close to home,” he said, adding: “We’re very, very sad to see this tragedy.”

Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey released a statement offering “thoughts and prayers” to the community.

“The state of Arizona continues to watch the situation closely,” he said “and stands at the ready to offer any support the school or community need.”

Arizona Sen. John McCain offered condolences to victims and their families.

Police said in a statement that officers responded about 8 a.m. to the scene, which was “an isolated area” on campus.

“This was not any sort of active shooter incident and there is no danger to the school or community at this time,” police said in the statement. “The school is currently on lockdown and parents cannot get to the campus.”

Students were told not to use their cellphones during that time.

The Glendale Union High School District later said in a statement that students had been released, though the campus remained on lockdown.

Lanie Walter, a senior at the school, told the Associated Press that the shooting was so shocking because “everyone is so loving” at the school.

Breeden, the police spokeswoman, told reporters she did not have any details about the girls’ relationship and that she could not speak further about the teens’ deaths, citing an ongoing police investigation.

[This story has been updated.]