Look, they used what they had.

(Water guns.)

(They used water guns.)

When children in a North Dakota neighborhood noticed an apartment fire this week, they turned their water guns on the flames, the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reports. Now, those West Fargo kids are being credited with helping contain the blaze, which reportedly sparked at the unit of a resident who is homebound.

“They had some Super Soakers, so they had some pretty good range,” West Fargo Fire Chief Daniel Fuller told the newspaper. “They had to refill a couple of times, but they pretty much got the fire out. It was just smoldering when we got there.”

Fuller told the Forum that the children, all students at an elementary school, were in the midst of a water fight when they discovered the fire, which had ignited on a deck.

“I smelled fire, then we came over here, black smoke,” Katelyn Simon, one of the kids who was involved in the effort, told ABC affiliate WDAY.

The kids told the apartment’s homebound resident, who “could not leave the apartment or put out the fire,” the fire chief said.

Then they went to work on the blaze before crews arrived.

“I was squirting at it and there was sparks and stuff falling down,” Devon Johnson, another child who assisted, told WDAY.

The fire was already extinguished by the time crews arrived, according to the Forum.

While heading to the fire, Fuller was told neighbors helped extinguish the fire, but he expected the neighbors to be adults.
“I was really surprised,” he said. “It’s pretty unusual.”

Fuller told WDAY that if the children hadn’t intervened, the situation could have turned into a “real, real serious fire.”

“We’re proud to count these local heroes as fans of the Nerf Super Soaker brand, and thankful that everyone is safe,” Michael Ritchie, vice president of global marketing and strategy for Nerf, told The Washington Post in a statement.

The station reported that the occupant of the apartment, Terry Myogeto, was sleeping when the fire began.

“I would say they turned into little heroes,” Myogeto told WDAY.