Adrian Aurs showed up at his estranged wife’s apartment late Friday. The Indianapolis police officer was angry and armed.

What he saw in the living room made him even more angry.

“What are you laughing at with another man in your apartment!” Aurs yelled as he pointed his gun, according to a probable-cause affidavit. He fired three shots, striking the man in the right elbow and side.

The man who was shot, Robert Pearsey, was a fellow police officer investigating a domestic violence incident between Aurs and his wife earlier that night. Pearsay fired back but missed Aurs, who then pointed the gun at his wife before leaving the apartment.

What followed was a manhunt that ended 3½ hours later in Cincinnati. Police said Aurs briefly barricaded himself in his red Chevrolet Silverado before surrendering.

The 17-year veteran with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department was off-duty at that time of the shooting. He has been charged with attempted murder, residential entry, and pointing a firearm at another.

“I lost it, I just snapped,” Aurs said shortly after his arrest, according to court records.

His wife told police that she’s afraid for her safety and that of her children. The two children, ages 8 and 2, were inside the apartment when the shooting occurred. One was in the bedroom and the other on the living room couch. They were not harmed.

Court records say Aurs and his wife had been living apart since December, when she filed a restraining order after a fight that left her with bruises. Aurs later threatened to also claim that he was being abused, so his wife dropped the restraining order, court records say. The wife filed for divorce in November, court records show.

About 8:30 p.m. Friday, Aurs showed up at the apartment, telling his wife that he wanted to see their children, court records say. Aurs forced his way in, saying he “would leave when I’m ready” and accusing her of keeping his kids from him. The woman asked Aurs several times to leave. When she told him she’d call 911, Aurs grabbed her cellphone from her hand, telling her he wouldn’t let her do that, court records say.

Aurs later left, taking his wife’s car keys with him.

His wife ended up calling police.

Later that night, Pearsey was at her home, taking a taped statement from her about the incident. Aurs broke in through the back door of the apartment and shot Pearsey. Court records say the woman followed Aurs outside, fearing he’d kill himself.

A neighbor told police that she heard a “pop” while she was inside her apartment. Shortly after, someone banged on her front door, she told police. She looked outside and saw a woman carrying a small child and a man holding a gun. The neighbor’s husband then went out the back door to see what was happening.

Aurs told the husband to step back and pointed a gun at him with a crazed look in his face, according to court records. He then pointed the gun at his own head.

“I want to see my kids one more time,” Aurs told the husband, who was trying to calm him down, according to court records. “I shot my friend.”

Aurs eventually calmed down, and his wife went inside the neighbor’s apartment for safety. He then drove away in his truck. While driving, he called his wife’s father, telling him that he was sorry and that he wanted to kill himself, court records say.

Cincinnati police found his truck at about 2 a.m. Saturday. Police also found a recently fired Glock 27 in the truck. Aurs was later extradited to Indianapolis, according to the Indianapolis Star.

Loved ones of Aurs and Pearsey showed up during an initial hearing Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis, the paper reported.

Aurs’s attorney, James Voyles, entered a not-guilty plea on his client’s behalf, according to the Associated Press. The judge also rejected Voyles’s request to reduce Aurs’s $200,000 bond, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Aurs started with the police department in 1999 as a recruit trainee and became a patrol officer in 2000. He was suspended without pay a few times — once for 20 days — for violating department rules on dealing with the public, using agency equipment and other issues, according to his personnel file, which was obtained by The Washington Post.

Court records show Aurs was convicted of drunken driving in 2005 and sentenced to probation for one year.

But Aurs’s career with the police department wasn’t always rocky.

In 2004 and 2008, he received a Medal of Valor and a Medal of Bravery, respectively. He also received several commendation letters from his superiors and was a frequent district officer of the month.