Protests that erupted over the election of Donald Trump continued Sunday night in cities across the country, pushing the demonstrations into a second week.
Even as these rallies continued, Trump — who has alternately criticized and praised the demonstrators — addressed the protesters in an interview broadcast Sunday night, one of the few public statements he has made since his victory speech.
“I would tell them don’t be afraid, absolutely,” Trump said during the interview on “60 Minutes.” He added: “Don’t be afraid. We are going to bring our country back. But certainly, don’t be afraid. You know, we just had an election and sort of like you have to be given a little time.”
Thousands of people have protested in cities across the country since Election Day, with the demonstrations beginning in Portland before Trump was officially declared the winner. That city has seen its sprawling protests devolve into what police called a riot, and during nights of heated, sometimes violent unrest, authorities said they arrested more than 100 people last week.
The Portland police said Monday afternoon that they determined a 14-year-old boy is the suspect they believe shot and injured a protester there early Saturday morning. The teenager was charged with attempted murder and unlawful use of a weapon, police say.
Police had said that the 21-year-old protester who was injured was shot in the leg during the march. In addition to the 14-year-old, who was not named, police said that Shamar Xavier Hunter, 18, identified as the driver of the car that pulled up to the injured protester, was charged in connection with that shooting and another one earlier in the month.
But on Sunday night, the Portland police said there were no arrests at the protest as the gathering there was peaceful. People came together for a vigil, and a number of speakers discussed a host of issues with the crowd there.
A march followed, winding its way through a part of downtown Portland and resulting in buses being detoured, along with some other traffic problems, but no other issues.
There were also protests Sunday in New York, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Francisco, Philadelphia and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., among other places. While hundreds were arrested in different cities last week, things had calmed by the end of the weekend. In New York, where 79 people were arrested during rallies from Wednesday through Saturday last week — most of them on the first night, with just a handful scattered from Thursday on — no people were arrested Sunday night, police said.
The gatherings show no signs of ending, with some groups also calling for rallies in Washington around the time of Trump’s inauguration in January.
These demonstrations have largely remained peaceful, according to police, though there have been issues reported at gatherings in Portland, Oakland and Indianapolis, where police said some at the demonstrations threw rocks and bottles and damaged property.
Some protesters said they have taken to the streets to rally against Trump’s litany of statements belittling different groups and his pledges involving immigration and other issues, while others said they wanted to be with like-minded people after the election’s unexpected outcome.
On Sunday, Kellyanne Conway, who served as Trump’s campaign manager, told Fox News that it was up to President Obama and Hillary Clinton to calm the protesters.
“It’s time really for President Obama and Secretary Clinton to say to these protesters, ‘This man is our president,’” she said.
Sen. Bernie Sanders, who was the runner-up in the Democratic presidential primary this year, supported the demonstrators in their protests.
“We have a First Amendment,” he told USA Today. “People are angry. People are upset. And they want to express their point of view that they are very frightened, in very, very strong disagreement with Mr. Trump, who has made bigotry the cornerstone of his campaign.”
Trump has publicly criticized the protesters as well as media outlets, which he says “incited” the demonstrations.
After tweeting in this vein late Thursday night — one of his first public statements after his election — he reversed course and praised what he called “small groups of protesters” that “have passion for our great country.” By this point, thousands of people had taken to the streets in demonstrations from coast to coast.
Trump also suggested during the “60 Minutes” interview, without offering any evidence, that “in some cases, you have professional protesters.” This line of thinking was echoed Sunday by Conway as well as former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, who has been touted as a possible attorney general in the Trump administration.
Trump also complained of what he viewed as a double standard in the response to the demonstrations.
“People are protesting,” he said. “If Hillary had won and if my people went out and protested, everybody would say, ‘Oh, that’s a terrible thing.’ And it would have been a much different attitude. There is a different attitude. You know, there is a double standard here.”
Before the election, Trump repeatedly questioned the legitimacy of the electoral process, assailing it as “rigged” and refusing to say if he would accept the results if he lost. Trump had warned of voter fraud, and his ally Roger Stone had warned of “widespread civil disobedience” if he lost in what they deemed a questionable way.
One in five Trump supporters had said before Election Day that they were not prepared to accept the results. Since the election, a third of Clinton’s supporters say the election results were not legitimate.
This story, first published at 10:27 a.m., has been updated.