Roy McClellan had been gone for days. Calls to his phone had gone to voice mail, his wife wrote in a Thursday Facebook post asking people to let her know if anyone had seen her husband.

Denise McClellan learned on the same day that Roy was killed in a hit-and-run crash days earlier, on Nov. 17, seven weeks after he survived the Oct. 1 Las Vegas massacre.

Roy McClellan was in Pahrump in southern Nevada, about 60 miles west of Las Vegas, the day he was killed. He had a fight with a friend and took off about 2 a.m. and was not heard from since, Denise McClellan wrote on Facebook.

The crash occurred at Homestead Road and Highway 160 in Pahrump, NBC affiliate KSNV reported. A spokesman for the Nevada Highway Patrol did not immediately respond to a call and email from The Washington Post, but the agency told local media that McClellanwas walking illegally on the highway when the crash occurred.

Roy McClellan left behind his wife and two sisters, Denise McClellan said.

The Post was not able to immediately reach McClellan on Sunday, but she told KSNV that her husband had been attending therapy sessions since the Route 91 Harvest festival massacre.

On that day in October, a gunman on the 32nd-floor hotel suite of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino rained down bullets on thousands of concertgoers. The shooter, Stephen Paddock, was found later found dead inside the suite. Nearly 60 people were killed and hundreds were injured. The massacre is the deadliest mass shooting in the country’s recent history.

On Oct. 1, a crowd of thousands had gathered in Las Vegas for a music festival. Then bullets rained down from the sky. Survivors describe the shock and terror of the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history. (The Washington Post)

Denise McClellan said she and her husband were at the concert. As they were escaping from bullets, Roy McClellan stopped along the way to help people, she told KSNV.

“Those who knew him know he had his battles but also knew he had a big heart. He was a survivor of the Route 91 shooting, instead of running away he went back in. He helped transport people to the hospital. Roy also loved helping people and would literally give the shirt off his back,” Denise McClellan wrote on Facebook.

Criminal charges are pending against the driver, KSNV reported. It’s unclear why the driver fled or whether alcohol was involved.

“This isn’t what I wanted for him,” Denise McClellan told the TV station. “I don’t understand why he wasn’t taken at the shooting, but a month later he was taken this way. I hope my husband found peace and he’s safe now.”

A month before Roy McClellan’s death, a California couple who also survived the Las Vegas shooting died outside their Southern California home in Murrieta.

Dennis and Lorraine Carver were killed in a fiery crash just before 11 p.m. on Oct. 16.

Dennis Carver was trying to round a curve when the 2010 Mercedes-Benz sedan he was driving veered off the roadway and into a grassy area, said Officer William Strom, a traffic officer for the California Highway Patrol. The car crashed into a metal intercom speaker. Its back struck a brick column that was part of a fence; the impact ripped the car’s rear axle and ruptured the gas tank, Strom said. The car struck another brick column, rolled onto its side and caught fire.

Strom said the couple died immediately. Police do not suspect foul play.

The couple, who lived part-time in Henderson, Nev., just outside Las Vegas, left behind two daughters, ages 20 and 16.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated Roy and Denise McClellan’s last name as McClure. It’s been corrected.

Read more: