The documents released Friday will be the first of several batches due to be made public over the next two weeks. About 25,000 pages have been cleared for release, while an additional 7,000 to 8,000 records are under review until March 26, after which they could be released, as well, according to a the National Archives spokeswoman.
The documents were released at the Clinton Library in Little Rock, Ark., as well as on the library's Web site at 1 p.m. EST.
The National Archives, which oversees the presidential library, said it had withheld the documents from Freedom of Information Act requests for the first 12 years after Clinton left office because they were exempt from disclosure under the Presidential Records Act. Those restrictions expired in 2013, and after a review, representatives of Clinton and President Obama approved the release of a majority of the records that had been withheld.
Friday's cache was expected to include memos and other documents pertaining to the health care task force, conflict in Rwanda, the Northern Mariana Islands, micro-development issues, national security matters and the 9/11 Commission Report, according to the National Archives spokeswoman.
Former Clinton White House officials said to be included in the records are Hillary Clinton; Evelyn Lieberman, who joined the White House as the first lady's assistant and held a number of other roles, including deputy chief of staff; Lissa Muscatine, the first lady's press secretary and speechwriter; National Security Council aides Jamie Metzl, Nancy Soderberg, Paul Orzulak and Thomas Rosshirt; and speechwriters Jeff Shesol and David Shipley.