Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said Thursday that he was “very angry and frustrated” by the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s decision to deny Maryland federal aid to help cover the cost of the Baltimore riots in April.
He said the unrest that erupted after the funeral of Freddie Gray was “the worst violence that we’ve had since 1968.”
FEMA ruled on June 12 not to declare Baltimore a major disaster.
The governor appealed the decision, noting that there were 15 major building fires, more than 200 instances of looting, 140 vehicle fires and more than 340 businesses damaged in the hours after Gray’s funeral.
Several members of the state’s congressional delegation also sent a letter to President Obama urging him to make the emergency declaration.
FEMA administrator Craig Fugate notified Hogan on Wednesday that the governor’s appeal of a decision to reject the state’s request had been denied.
“We affirm our original finding that supplemental federal assistance. . . is not appropriate for this event,” Fugate’s letter said.
Hogan made it clear on Thursday that he did not agree.
The governor said 170 police officers and firefighters were injured, and the city and state spent $20 million to maintain order during a week-long state of emergency.
”I am disgusted and outraged by the decision by the Obama administration,” he said. “What could possibly be an emergency if that riot in Baltimore wasn’t an emergency? I just don’t understand.”