Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio on Sunday partly blamed Donald Trump and his rhetoric for the increase in violence at the Republican front-runner's rallies.
On "Meet the Press," Trump denied any responsibility for the protests. Instead, he said he deserves credit for canceling a rally in Chicago last week over security fears involving protesters. "A lot of people have praised me for canceling the one rally. We had 25,000 people coming, we got a lot of them not to come through notice. ... I don't accept responsibility, I do not condone violence in any shape."
During interviews on Sunday, Rubio doubled down on his criticism of Trump, whose rhetoric he said Saturday reminded him of "third-world strongmen." On CNN's "State of the Union," Rubio said images of the violence at the canceled Trump rally in Chicago "look[ed] like something out of the third world."
"I think all the gates of civility have blown apart," the senator said on CNN. He added: "This notion that a president can say anything they want, or even a presidential candidate can say anything they want, whatever comes to mind — it's just not true, and it's reckless and dangerous."