A state attorney in Florida does not intend to prosecute Donald Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski for battery after he was charged for grabbing a reporter last month, according to media reports Wednesday evening.
According to Politico, which first reported the news, Palm Beach County State Attorney David Aronberg plans to announce the decision on Thursday. CNN also reported that Lewandowski will not face prosecution. Both cited sources familiar with the decision.
Aronberg's office did not immediately respond to questions about the matter. Lewandowski did not respond to a request for comment. Neither did Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks.
At issue is a March 8 encounter between Lewandowski and former Breitbart News reporter Michelle Fields. Lewandowski allegedly grabbed Fields. Video of the incident contradicted claims by Trump and Lewandowski that he did not touch her.
Lewandowski was charged last month with one misdemeanor count of battery. He voluntarily appeared before the authorities.
Trump defended Lewandowski at the time, saying he was a “very decent man."
On Twitter Wednesday, Fields expressed disappointment that news of the decision leaked out before it was officially announced.
"Prosecutor's office told me they would inform me of decision tomorrow. If reports true, guess they decided to leak to reporters first. Ugly," she tweeted.
Fields also tweeted: "For those asking, office of prosecutor asked 2 weeks ago if I'd be ok with an apology from Corey. I said ya but haven't heard back about it."