President Trump on Monday dismissed as “fake news” an ongoing legal case involving a woman who has accused him of sexual misconduct.
“All I can say is it's totally fake news. It's just fake. It's fake. It's made-up stuff, and it's disgraceful, what happens, but that happens in the — that happens in the world of politics,” Trump said about the allegations made by Summer Zervos, a former contestant on his television show, “The Apprentice.”
Trump was asked about the case and a subpoena delivered to his campaign during a Rose Garden news conference Monday.
Although the subpoena dates to March, it came to light only in recent days amid renewed attention on the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace because of allegations against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.
Attorneys for Zervos have asked the Trump campaign for any document or communications about her and “all documents concerning any woman who asserted that Donald J. Trump touched her inappropriately.”
Zervos accuses Trump of assaulting her in 2007. She first detailed her accusation during a news conference a year ago, before Trump won the 2016 election. She claims Trump forcibly kissed her and touched her breast.
In a statement last year, Trump denied the allegations.
“To be clear, I never met her at a hotel or greeted her inappropriately a decade ago. That is not who I am as a person, and it is not how I've conducted my life. In fact, Ms. Zervos continued to contact me for help, emailing my office on April 14 of this year asking that I visit her restaurant in California,” Trump said.
Zervos filed a defamation suit against Trump in January.
Attorneys for Trump said the suit “has no legal merit.”