The subpoena, sent to Clinton on March 4, asked for the following documents:
In the CNN interview that aired Tuesday afternoon, Clinton was responding to a question about why she would delete her e-mails from her personal server when facing a subpoena.
Clinton’s campaign spokesman, Nick Merrill, told us that Clinton was not under subpoena at the time she cleared her personal e-mails. And that she’d already turned her work-related e-mails over to the State Department well before that. “…the suggestion was made that a subpoena was pending at that time. That was not accurate,” he said in an e-mail.
But Gowdy, in a statement accompanying the subpoena release, said regardless of the subpoena, Clinton “had a statutory duty to preserve records from her entire time in office …” and that she had not been forthright about her “unusual e-mail arrangement” until it was revealed during his investigation.
The select committee’s ranking Democrat Elijah Cummings accused Gowdy of issuing the press release as a “stunt in this latest taxpayer-funded attack against Secretary Clinton.”
While Gowdy made this document public, he did not release the deposition transcript of Clinton confidante Sidney Blumenthal. There had been some thought that Gowdy would let the Benghazi panel vote Wednesday on whether to release it, but he did not.
Democrats have pressed Gowdy to let the public read Blumenthal’s entire testimony, saying it’s only fair to let him explain the e-mails he sent to Clinton in his own words. They’ve accused Gowdy and Republicans of selectively leaking information from the hearing and his e-mails as an attempt to embarrass Clinton during her run for president.