The tension has been building every week this high school football season, and we’ve reached the point at which every team still playing is in the midst of a remarkable campaign. It’s time for the region finals in Maryland, the region quarterfinals in Virginia, the Gravy Bowl in the District and the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference championship game. There are no bad teams left, which only raises the stakes for what should be the most exciting weekend of the season so far.
Here at AllMetSports, we’ve got you covered with a bevy of must-see matchups. On Friday night, we’ll have reporters at the Maryland 4A East final between No. 13 Annapolis and Broadneck; the Maryland 4A West final featuring No. 5 Quince Orchard and Richard Montgomery; the Maryland 3A East final between Glenelg and River Hill; the Maryland 2A South final between defending state champion Patuxent and Calvert; a Virginia 6A North quarterfinal between No. 6 Lake Braddock and Hayfield; a Virginia 6A North quarterfinal between defending state champion Westfield and South County; a Virginia 6A North quarterfinal pitting No. 12 Madison against West Potomac; and another Battle of the Burn in the Virginia 5A North quarterfinals between No. 17 Broad Run and No. 18 Stone Bridge.
If that’s not enough, we’ll be covering Saturday’s WCAC championship game between No. 1 DeMatha and No. 4 St. John’s; the Gravy Bowl pitting Bell against Theodore Roosevelt; and the Maryland 3A South final between neighborhood rivals No. 10 Oxon Hill and Potomac (Md.).
Make sure you check back with AllMetSports all weekend for updates, game stories, photos and videos of all the action. But before you head out to catch a little playoff fever, vote in our poll below and let us know who you think will win the biggest postseason games this week.
- Hayfield QB Jacob Keeney has become a force with former Lake Braddock QB Caleb Henderson in his corner.
- Preview: DeMatha, St. John’s vie for WCAC title in highly anticipated rematch.
- Preview: Westfield hopes to harness its playoff prowess in another matchup with South County.
- Preview: Stone Bridge and Broad Run suit up for another rivalry game with higher stakes.
- Preview: Annapolis, Broadneck square off for the Maryland 4A East title.
- Northern’s long day’s journey comes up short in Maryland 3A girls’ soccer final against Urbana.
- Mount Hebron’s run ends with 1-0 loss to Urbana in Maryland 3A boys’ soccer final.
- After surprise postseason run, Calvert falls to Williamsport in Maryland 2A South semifinals.
- Jailyn Ivey stands tall in Bowie’s return Maryland volleyball state tournament.
VIDEO OF THE DAY
Here’s a preview of Friday’s other Virginia 6A North quarterfinal between No. 11 South Lakes and Centreville.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Soccer and volleyball state championships
This is a jam-packed weekend for high school sports in the Washington area. On Friday, Walter Johnson will go for a sweep of the Maryland 4A soccer finals when its boys’ and girls’ team play a doubleheader at Loyola. I’ll be there, so follow along on Twitter (@mgiannotto). On Saturday, River Hill and Calvert face off in the Maryland 2A girls’ soccer state final at Loyola. Dillon Mullan (@DillonMullan) will be there chronicling the action.
Then there’s volleyball state finals in both Maryland and Virginia on Saturday. In Maryland, Eric Goldwein (@EricGoldweinWP) will be covering the 4A final between Northwest and Sherwood and the 3A final between Damascus and Atholton. Down in Richmond for the VHSL finals, Jacob Bogage (@jacobbogage) will be covder the 5A finals between Briar Woods and Princess Anne and the 4A final pitting Loudoun County against Jamestown.