The Washington Post

Sam Donaldson’s drunken driving case is dismissed

Sam Donaldson at the Democratic National Convention in 2012. (Jae C. Hong/ AP Photo) Sam Donaldson at the Democratic National Convention in 2012. (Jae C. Hong/ AP Photo)

Sam Donaldson’s DUI case in Delaware was dismissed Friday, closing a year-long legal battle for the former ABC journalist. Donaldson was arrested last December and charged with drunken driving, but a Sussex County judge tossed out the case ruling that police did not have probable cause.

The judge said that the arresting officer had sufficient reason to stop Donaldson’s car, but the incident report was missing information and included a sobriety field test, which is not supposed to be administered to anyone 65 because seniors may have difficulty with one-leg stands and other tasks, even when sober.

“The officer said I didn’t look over 65,” the 79-year-old journalist told us Monday. “My goodness, I almost jumped up and waved the flag!”

Donaldson, currently living in Albuquerque, is separated but not yet divorced from wife Jan Smith. He collected his last paycheck from ABC News last month and is now busy with freelance projects — but says he’s not retired: “You retire, in the full sense of the word, when you die. I’m not ready yet.”

 

More Reliable SourceAmy RobachMiriam JuddNelson MandelaRGIIIMario CantoneKevin JamesChris Christie

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

lifestyle

reliable-source

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.