Well, that escalated quickly. Rep. Aaron Schock (R-Ill.), the young congressman known best for his abs and fondness for “Downton Abbey,” plans to vacate the office that made him Instagram famous.
So as we bid a fond farewell to “America’s Fittest Congressman,” the 33-year-old who never met a shirt he couldn’t take off for the cameras, why not take a look back at the extracurricular activities that launched a political career tailor-made for “Dancing With the Stars: Season 21.” Here are the best (or worst) moments of Schock’s time in the spotlight.
Update: This is why we can’t have nice things! The former congressman has made his Instagram account private. Things were probably getting a little tricky. So we’ll have to just imagine the cache of photos chronicling Schock’s love/hate relationship with social media.
1. Our first glimpse of what was under Schock’s hood came in 2009 when TMZ posted a photo of the congressman wearing nothing but red swim trunks and a smirk. Later the same year, Schock attempted to clean up that image a bit by posing with actual clothes on for a 2009 GQ fashion spread.
This wouldn’t last long.
2. In 2011, a shirtless Schock showed off his “political muscle” (get it!) for the cover of Men’s Health magazine, sealing his reputation as the guy who could do more sit-ups than all the other guys in Congress, which, in fact, is not a thing constituents care about.
3. In August 2013, Schock discovered Instagram and his allergic reaction to button downs continued.
[Imagine an Instagram of a grinning Schock baring his chest while surfing a killer wave in Hawaii]
4. The only cure? More celebrity selfies.
[Picture Schock in a Instagram cheek to cheek with pop starlet Ariana Grande and her duck lips]
5. In February, our colleague Ben Terris unveiled Schock’s expensive interior decorating tastes prompting an Office of Congressional Ethics review of his spending. In a full circle moment, the congressman prefers red.