NEW YORK — The men’s draw at the U.S. Open suffered another blow Saturday when No. 2 seed Andy Murray announced his withdrawal with a hip injury.

Murray, the second-ranked men’s player in the world, joins No. 4 Stan Wawrinka, No. 5 Novak Djokovic, No. 10 Kei Nishikori and No. 11 Milos Raonic, all of whom also are out of the final Grand Slam tournament of the season with injuries.

“Had the issue with the hip over what’s actually been since my match with Stan in Paris,” Murray, 30, told reporters in a previously scheduled news conference. “Did pretty much everything that I could to get myself ready here and took a number of weeks off after Wimbledon. I obviously spoke to a lot of hip specialists. Tried, obviously, resting, rehabbing, to try to get myself ready here. You know, was actually practicing okay the last few days, but it’s too sore for me to win the tournament and ultimately that’s what I was here to try and do.”

Murray, the U.S. Open champion in 2012, also pulled out of the Masters tournament in Cincinnati leading up to the U.S. Open, a move that gave the No. 1 ranking to Rafael Nadal. Murray was asked Saturday about the possibility of shutting down the rest of his season.

“I’ll definitely make a decision on that in the next few days,” Murray said. “That’s something I’ll sit down and decide with my team.”

Because Murray announced his withdrawal before the tournament set its order of play for Monday’s opening matches, the men’s draw reshuffled according to Grand Slam rules. Fifth-seeded Marin Cilic moves into Murray’s position and will face American Tennys Sandgren, while American Sam Querrey, previously the No. 17 seed, moves into Cilic’s spot. Querrey, a semifinalist at Wimbledon this year, faces Gilles Simon in his first-round match. 

Philipp Kohlschreiber replaces Querrey and will face Tim Smyczek.

Even before Murray announced his decision, the notable number of absentees dominated the conversation at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Saturday. Top-seeded Nadal and third-seeded Roger Federer, both of whom have previously taken extended hiatuses to deal with injuries, were asked if there were anything the ATP Tour should be doing to stem the tide of ailing players.

“I mean, look, yeah, you can cut down the season by half,” Federer said, “and then, if there is an injury, we cut it down half again, and at the end we play two months of the year eventually at some stage, and we’ll still be injured because now we’re not playing enough.”

“Don’t forget that we are not 21 anymore,” Nadal added. “That’s something that can happen. Stan is 32, you know, I think. I am 31 — and a half. Novak is 30. Andy is 30. We are not that young anymore.”

Read more: