Make sure to sign up to receive “Afternoon Fix” every day in your e-mail inbox by 5(ish) p.m.!
EARLIER ON THE FIX:
WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED:
* A federal court has unanimously struck down Texas' new congressional map, finding it in violation of the Voting Rights Act. The state's Republican attorney general will appeal the decision, but if it stands, it means that the state would have to draw new maps before 2014. The state's current elections are taking place under interim maps.
* Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said he would not send Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) any money even if he was tied with Sen. Claire McCaskill (D). Akin's campaign didn't like that statement very much. "Reince Priebus' comments are extremely disappointing. He claims the mantle of freedom, liberty and the good of America, but this betrays his apparent personal vendetta against Todd Akin," Akin campaign manager Perry Akin said in a statement.
* Arizona Democrat Richard Carmona has timed the release of his first TV ad to coincide with primary election day. The spot underscores Carmona's military background and work as surgeon general. Rep. Jeff Flake is expected to advance easily from today's GOP Senate primary to a matchup against Carmona in the fall.
WHAT YOU SHOULDN'T MISS:
* This Friday, Mitt Romney and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) will hold a farewell victory rally in Lakeland, Florida, the day after Republican National Convention comes to an end.
* A new Quinnipiac University survey shows a surprisingly tight race for the Senate in Connecticut, with Republican Linda McMahon leading Rep. Chris Murphy, 49 percent to 46 percent.
* Excerpts of Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's speech at the GOP convention later this evening show he will stick to a theme of attacking President Obama for saying that business owners didn’t build their success all on their own.
* The fishing industry is the subject of Sen. Scott Brown's (R-Mass.) latest TV ad. "Our fisherman deserve better, and I'm going to be fighting to protect them," Brown says in the spot. Brown is riding his famous pickup truck in the commercial.
THE FIX MIX:
Room for one more?
With Aaron Blake