Former New York Rep. Anthony Weiner's attempt at political resurrection ended with a whimper -- or, more accurately, a finger -- on Tuesday when he won just 5 percent in the Democratic primary for New York City mayor.
Weiner's fifth-place finish -- and the car-accident-in-motion sort of campaign he ran -- virtually ensures that he won't be back on the political scene anytime soon. But before Weiner disappears completely (Radiohead reference!), it's worth re-living the campaign that was. To do that, we scoured hundreds of images in search of a handful that captured the absurdity, pathos and just plain strangeness of the campaign. We settled on eight. They're below.
1. After an initial surge in polling, Weiner held a press conference acknowledging more sexting.
2. Weiner's wife, Huma Abedin, spoke out on her husband's behalf.
3. It didn't work. Weiner's poll numbers tanked. Then things started to get weird....
4. ...and then they got weirder. Way weirder.
5. Weiner's mother stayed loyal to her son.
6. And the candidate continued to campaign relentlessly.
7. But, as the race wound down, Weiner came unraveled.
8. And before you knew it, it was all over.