Former "American Idol" Clay Aiken's announcement that he plans to run for a congressional seat in North Carolina earned little more than guffaws in most political circles where Aiken is considered a very long shot. But at least one voter - although not one who lives in North Carolina -- would really like to see the has-been pop star succeed: Amanda Jonas, a D.C. teacher and long-time Aiken fan. She sent the Post a collection of campaign slogans she's already dreamed up for her idol's -- get it? -- campaign.
Got your own bad puns or American Idol jokes? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll add them to this post. Jonas' suggestions are below.
- We knew that America's economy was hurting. What we didn’t know was that it was really just Aiken for Clay.
- On Election Day this November, let America decide how we Measure a Man.
- Clay Aiken: the first time in history that a politician will break the mold.
- America has enough politicians. What we really need is an American Idol.
- America is sick of all the red tape in Congress. But the only red Clay Aiken knows about is the red carpet.
- Simon Says: Vote Clay Aiken on November 4th.
- America you voted and the results are in! Your next
American IdolU.S. Congressman is Clay Aiken.
- He may have placed second to Reuben, but on November 4th, he will be first in the polls.
- Clay Aiken: at least the last time this man lost the popular vote, he didn't ask for a recall.
- In 2003 they called themselves "Claymates." In 2014 they will call themselves Voters.
- If you're worried that dirty Washington politics will infect Clay Aiken, don't worry. He went to Hollywood and all he got was frosted tips.
- Simon Cowell told Clay Aiken that he didn't look like a pop star. But people told Abraham Lincoln he didn't look like a politician.