House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) grew frustrated with President Obama on Thursday, blaming him for the continued crisis along the U.S.-Mexico border.
"He's been president for five and a half years! When is he going to take responsibility for something!?" Boehner said.
Turns out Obama takes responsibility for a lot of bad situations — at least rhetorically, and after they've gone south.
Here are five examples:
1. November 3, 2010 – Democrats lose control of the House in midterm elections. "I take responsibility for that."
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/politics/obama-takes-responsibility-part-1/2014/07/10/059e1f5e-0873-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_video.html" ]
2. October 16, 2012 – Attack on U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. "I'm the president. And I'm always responsible."
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/politics/obama-takes-responsibility-part-2/2014/07/10/6ca47432-0873-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_video.html" ]
3. May 27, 2010 – BP oil spill. "In case you were wondering, in any of your reporting, who's responsible? I take responsibility."
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/national/obama-takes-responsibility-part-3/2014/07/10/af04b7f6-0873-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_video.html" ]
4. October 30, 2013 – HealthCare.gov crashes. "I take full responsibility for making sure it gets fixed ASAP."
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/national/obama-takes-responsibility-part-4/2014/07/10/f359ade4-0873-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_video.html" ]
5. July 14, 2009 – Economy in freefall. "I love the folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, 'Well, this is Obama's economy.' That's fine. Give it to me. ... I want the responsibility."
[posttv url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/politics/obama-takes-responsibility-part-5/2014/07/10/4ce3c052-0874-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_video.html" ]