“We were sure somebody that runs for office wouldn't go so far as to make the whole thing up,” Nedeljnik said in a statement, “although a certain someone appears to be doing exactly that in the past year. ... We are trying to figure out if it was Mr. Rajcic that duped us, but he is still standing by his story.”
The Trump campaign on Thursday denied that the Republican presidential nominee had granted an interview to Nedeljnik, in which he supposedly said “the bombing of Serbs, who had been our allies in both world wars, was a big mistake. Serbs are very good people. Unfortunately, the Clinton administration brought a lot of harm to them, to all the Balkans, where they created chaos.”
Those remarks were picked up by Newsweek, which reported that Trump seemed to be echoing Russian propaganda by fueling resentment toward the United States. Trump's friendly attitude toward Russia — particularly his description of Vladimir Putin as a “strong leader” — has been scrutinized in the media and used in political attacks by Hillary Clinton.
Nedeljnik said it is possible that Trump simply regrets his comments, so he is denying ever making them.
“Could it be that the Trump campaign got scared when the media outlets ran a story in which he apologizes to Serbs, who were the 'bad guys' in the '90s?” the magazine said in its statement to The Post. “It wouldn't be the first time that Trump and his aides got caught in a lie.”
Nedeljnik shared with the Post the original email correspondence containing the quotes it published and attributed to Trump. The messages indicate that Nedeljnik provided questions to Rajcic, who passed them along to Suzie Jaworowski, the Trump campaign's director in Pence's home state of Indiana. Jaworowski transcribed Trump's answers to the questions, then sent the responses to Rajcic, who forwarded them to Nedeljnik — or, at least, that is what the magazine said it believed to have occurred.
Jaworowski said in a statement on Thursday that she has “never served as a conduit to interview Mr. Trump for anyone.”
Nedeljnik said it is conducting its own investigation into the authenticity of the interview.