At Wednesday's Cabinet meeting, Vice President Pence decided he'd just handle praising Trump for the entire team.
Over nearly three minutes, Pence offered plaudit after plaudit after plaudit, praising Trump's vision, his words, his strategy and his results in light of the passage of tax cuts. By the end, Pence offered 14 separate commendations for Trump in less than three minutes -- math that works out to one every 12.5 seconds. And each bit of praise was addressed directly to Trump, who was seated directly across the table.
Here's the full list:
- “Thank you for seeing, through the course of this year, an agenda that truly is restoring this country.”
- “You described it very well, Mr. President.”
- “You've restored American credibility on the world stage.”
- “You've signed more bills rolling back federal red tape than any president in American history.”
- “You've unleashed American energy.”
- “You've spurred an optimism in this country that's setting records.”
- “You promised the American people in that campaign a year ago that you would deliver historic tax cuts, and it would be a 'middle-class miracle.' And in just a short period of time, that promise will be fulfilled.”
- “I’m deeply humbled, as your vice president, to be able to be here."
- “Because of your leadership, Mr. President, and because of the strong support of the leadership in the Congress of the United States, you're delivering on that middle-class miracle.”
- “You've actually got the Congress to do, as you said, what they couldn’t do with [the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska] for 40 years.”
- “You got the Congress to do, with tax cuts for working families and American businesses, what they haven’t been able to do for 31 years.”
- “And you got Congress to do what they couldn’t do for seven years, in repealing the individual mandate in Obamacare.”
- “Mostly, Mr. President, I’ll end where I began and just tell you, I want to thank you, Mr. President. I want to thank you for speaking on behalf of and fighting every day for the forgotten men and women of America.”
- “Because of your determination, because of your leadership, the forgotten men and women of America are forgotten no more. And we are making America great again.”
Pence paused from praising Trump only briefly to also praise the other people seated around the table. But in doing so, he made clear that it was because Trump would want him to — and that these were members of a team that Trump was savvy enough to have assembled.
“I know you would have me also acknowledge the people around this table, Mr. President,” Pence said, calling them “your outstanding team” and “your great legislative team.”
Then he got back to the most important bit of business: praising Trump more directly.