The Internet moves quickly. If you step away for even a moment — to, say, eat a meal, partake in an IRL conversation, or, God forbid, sleep — you’ll miss the latest/greatest cat video or bizarre Internet meme. This hilarious churn is, in part, why I write this email newsletter called “Links I Would Gchat You If We Were Friends,” which goes out everyday in the mid-to-late afternoon. It’s also why, from now until you tire of it, I’m going to collect some of the best links from the newsletter into a weekly post for your summer-Friday perusal/distraction.
Without further ado, these are the 26 best things I spotted on the Internet last week.
- Police on Pinterest
- Chihuahuas wearing sombreros
- This lengthy, horrifying feature on a blogger who may have killed her five-year-old
- Bacon hazing
- Papier-mache pandas
- Oprah’s first audition tape
- Brilliant trolling (or total obliviousness) from a “troubled” Connecticut mom
- The hidden psychology of ordering food online
- The definitive ranking of free restaurant bread
- An octopus opening a jar
- Alton Brown opening champagne … with a saber!
- A baby struggling valiantly to stay awake
- A 3D make-up printer
- This Reddit AMA with a “professional snuggler”
- The cat pictured at top
- The NSA’s mysterious coded tweet
- This fascinating Wired feature on the strange world of “DIY brain stimulation”
- Adrian Chen’s meditation on truth and Twitter
- What happens when J.K. Rowling subtweets you
- This statistical analysis of the “average cocktail”
- This completely unironic Wikihow guide to stopping a wedding
- Confessions of a “serial reality TV star”
- The man who invented tabs
- Finding love on LinkedIn
- Every Instagram Drake’s ever liked
You can also sign up to get these links on the daily, by email, here. Otherwise — until next week!