After two days, Snapchat has finally responded to a hack that stole information from 4.6 million user accounts. In a blog post published late Thursday, the company said no photos or videos had been compromised in the attack.
Snapchat also said it would be releasing an update to its app, but gave no indication when that might occur. The update "will allow Snapchatters to opt out of appearing in Find Friends after they have verified their phone number," according to the blog post. (Find Friends is a Snapchat feature that lets users upload their address books to the service in an attempt to match phone numbers with existing Snapchat users in a person's social network.)
Snapchat still has not said whether it has plugged the vulnerability that led to the exploit once and for all. Nor has it admitted fault or issued an apology to affected users. A Snapchat spokesperson did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment.
Update: In an interview on NBC's Today show, CEO Evan Spiegel said he thought the company "had done enough" when it came to installing safeguards in Snapchat. "In a business like this," he said, "one that's moving so quickly, if you spend your time looking backwards, you'll kill yourself."