The Washington Post

With a $10 million fine, the FCC is leaping into data security for the first time


(philcampbell / Flickr)

The Federal Communications Commission leapt into data security litigation Friday, levying a $10 million fine against two telecom companies that allegedly stored personally identifiable customer data online without firewalls, encryption or password protection.

The two companies, YourTel America and TerraCom, share the same owners and management. From September 2012 to April 2013, the FCC said, the companies collected information online from applicants to Lifeline, the government's telephone subsidy program for poor Americans. To prove their eligibility, potential customers are asked for personal information, including Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, names and drivers' license numbers.

Rather than store this data securely or destroy it after they were done proving eligibility, according to the FCC, the companies kept the information on publicly accessible Internet servers. When reporters for the Scripps Howard News Service stumbled on the data with a simple Google search, they reported on the lax security and notified the FCC. As many as 300,000 customers may have been affected by the unsecured data, the FCC said.

These companies "made their customers' personal, sensitive information publicly accessible to all the world via the Internet," said Travis LeBlanc, the FCC's top enforcement official. "This is unacceptable. … This is the first data security enforcement action [by the FCC], but it will not be the last."

The agency's $10 million fine will be shared between YourTel and TerraCom. A spokesman for the companies did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

It's no surprise the FCC is growing increasingly interested in privacy cases. The year has been marked by a series of high-profile data breaches, indicating both a real danger to consumers, as well as an opportunity for regulators. So far, the Federal Trade Commission has filed most of the complaints against companies that have failed to safeguard their data. But the FCC's action Friday — its second privacy case in as many months and the first dealing with data security — suggests it sees a growing role for itself as a privacy regulator, too.

"This is a warning to other carriers," said LeBlanc. "We will not tolerate conduct that puts American consumers at risk of fraud and identity theft."

Brian Fung covers technology for The Washington Post, focusing on telecommunications and the Internet. Before joining the Post, he was the technology correspondent for National Journal and an associate editor at the Atlantic.

business/technology

the-switch

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read
DJIA -2.21%
NASDAQ -3.41%
Last Update: 01/14/2016(DJIA&NASDAQ)

business/technology

the-switch

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Next Story
Hayley Tsukayama · October 24, 2014

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.