The One Fund Boston said it would give additional money to all 232 of the victims of the April 15, 2013, bombing, including the families of three people killed by the two bombs and relatives of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer killed during the manhunt for the two suspects. Last year, the charity distributed $60.9 million to those people, with the highest payouts, $2.2 million, to double amputees and families of those slain.
Since then, some younger amputees have said that even the generous payouts would not be sufficient to support their medical needs for a lifetime, and others whose injuries emerged later questioned a payment formula that was based on the number of days spent in the hospital.
A week ago, according to the Boston Globe, 14 people who say they have traumatic brain injuries held a news conference to criticize the formula for the second distribution.
The One Fund has collected more than $19 million since the first payout, and a panel of medical experts decided all the survivors should be given additional compensation. That includes the amputees, who are the top priority, but also people who suffered lacerations, burns, hearing injuries, ringing in the ears, abrasions, nerve damage, puncture wounds, post-concussive syndrome and traumatic brain injuries, according to the protocol released Friday.
Among amputees, payments will be determined by factors that include whether they are single or double amputees; whether the amputation is above or below the knee; the severity of injuries to remaining limbs; age and the number of surgeries the survivor has undergone during the past year.
Survivors have until July 30 to apply for the money and may choose not to accept any more. The One Fund also will work with medical authorities to create a program to evaluate and treat people who suffered hearing loss, mental health problems, post-traumatic stress and traumatic brain injuries, as well as their families.