An Ebola-stricken aid worker who had been receiving care at Emory University Hospital since Sept. 9 was released Sunday after being declared free of the virus, Emory officials said Monday.

"In coordination with the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] and Georgia Department of Public Health, the patient was determined to be free of virus and to pose no public health threat," the hospital said in a statement.

Not much is known publicly about this person, including how or where in West Africa the patient was infected before being flown via air ambulance to Atlanta. The patient has never been identified publicly, and the hospital hasn't released details of treatment.

"The patient has asked to remain anonymous and left the hospital for an undisclosed location," the hospital statements said. "He will make a statement at a later date."

Last week, the patient released a statement through Emory, saying in part: "I anticipate being discharged very soon, free from the Ebola virus and able to return safely to my family and to my community. I want the public to know that although Ebola is a serious, complex disease, it is possible to recover and return to a healthy life. I wish to retain my anonymity for now, but I anticipate sharing more information in future weeks as I complete my recovery."

Two other Ebola patients have been treated at Emory University Hospital's communicable disease unit and released after being declared disease-free: Texas doctor Kent Brantly and missionary worker Nancy Writebol, both of whom contracted the virus in Liberia and later received ZMapp, an experimental treatment.

Texas Presbyterian Hospital nurse Amber Vinson, who was infected with Ebola while treating Dallas patient Thomas Eric Duncan, arrived at Emory last week for treatment.

Another Ebola-infected Dallas nurse, Nina Pham, is being treated at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda.

Yet another Ebola patient being treated in the United States could be released by the end of the week, the Associated Press reported on Monday.

Freelance journalist Ashoka Mukpo, who arrived at Nebraska Medical Center on Oct. 6, has been steadily improving. He's received a convalescent serum from blood donated by Brantly.