America's increasing obsession with beauty is fueling a surge in cosmetic surgery procedures. In 2015, there were 15.9 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures or about one procedure per 16 adults in the United States. The fastest growing: buttock implants. Below is a look at some important trends.
1. The number of cosmetic procedures performed in the United States jumped 115 percent from 2000 to 2015.
2. But the types of procedures being performed is changing. Most of the growth has been in minimally invasive cosmetic procedures. Below is a look at the top five in this category.
3. Of the surgical procedures, breast augmentation remains the most popular.
4. Buttock implants, which involve silicon implants that make your behind fuller and rounder, like J. Lo's, are now the fastest growing type of cosmetic surgery. They were so rare in 2000 that they weren't even tracked, but in 2014 there were 1,863 procedures and in 2015 there were 2,540.
5. Plastic surgery is no longer just about face-lifts. Increasingly, Americans are seeking breast lifts, buttock lifts, lower body lifts and upper arm lifts.
6. It's no longer just a woman thing. More men are getting into the plastic surgery trend, and the shift is most in breast reduction surgeries.
This post has been updated.